Huawei S6720-SI series switches are Huawei-developed next-generation multi-gigabit 10 GE fixed switches. The S6720-SI can provide high-speed wireless access, and access for 10 GE servers in data centers or function as access/aggregation switches on a campus network.
The S6720-SI is one of the multi-gigabit fixed switches with the highest performance in the industry, providing line-rate multigigabit 100M/1G/2.5G/5G/10G access ports and 40 GE uplink ports. It can be used to provide high-speed access for APs and 10 Gbit/s access to high-density servers or function as a core/aggregation switch on a campus network to provide 40 Gbit/s rate. In addition, S6720-SI provides a wide variety of services, comprehensive security policies, and various QoS features to help customers build scalable, manageable, reliable, and secure campus and data center networks.
Product features and highlights
High-density multi-gigabit access and 40 Gbit/s uplink
- As the 802.11ac standard and related products are released, the wireless access rate has reached 2.5 Gbit/s. The S6720-SI multi-gigabit fixed switches match perfectly with high-speed APs, and provide the long distance 200 meters PoE++ function and 60W PoE on a port. The S6720-SI can provide Ethernet power supply for APs and surveillance cameras.
- The S6720-SI fixed switch has the highest density of multi-gigabit ports and largest switching capacity among counterpart switches. S6720-SI provides up to 48 100M/1G/2.5G/5G/10G Base-T ports.
- Ports of the S6720-SI support 100M/1G/2.5G/5G/10G Base-T access and auto-sensing, maximizing the Return On Investment (ROI) and allowing users to flexibly deploy services.
Comprehensive security policies
- The S6720-SI provides multiple security measures to defend against Denial of Service (DoS) attacks and other attacks to networks or users. DoS attacks include SYN flood, Land, Smurf, and ICMP flood attacks. Attacks to networks refer to STP BPDU/root attacks. Attacks to users include bogus DHCP server attacks, man-in-the-middle attacks, IP/MAC spoofing attacks, DHCP request flood attacks, and DoS attacks by changing the CHADDR field of packets.
- The S6720-SI supports DHCP snooping, which generates user binding entries. DHCP snooping discards invalid packets that do not match any binding entries, such as ARP spoofing packets and IP spoofing packets. This prevents hackers from using ARP packets to initiate man-in-the-middle attacks on campus networks. DHCP snooping trusted and untrusted ports can be specified to ensure that users connect only to the authorized DHCP server.
- The S6720-SI supports strict ARP learning. This feature prevents ARP spoofing attackers from exhausting ARP entries so that users can connect to the Internet normally. It also provides IP source check to prevent DoS attacks caused by MAC address spoofing, IP address spoofing, and MAC/IP spoofing. URPF provided by the S6720-SI reversely checks packet transmission path to authenticate packets, which can protect the network against source address spoofing attacks.
- The S6720-SI supports centralized MAC address authentication and 802.1X authentication. It authenticates users based on statically or dynamically bound user information such as the user name, IP address, MAC address, VLAN ID, port number, and flag indicating whether antivirus software is installed. VLANs, QoS policies, and ACLs can be delivered to users dynamically.
- The S6720-SI can limit the number of MAC addresses learned on a port to prevent MAC address entries from being exhausted by source MAC address spoofing packets. This function minimizes packet flooding that occurs when MAC addresses of users cannot be found in the MAC address table.
Comprehensive reliability mechanisms
- The S6720-SI supports redundant power supplies. Users can choose a single power supply or use two power supplies to ensure device reliability. With two pluggable fan modules, the S6720-SI has a longer MTBF time than counterpart switches.
- The S6720-SI supports MSTP multi-process that enhances the existing STP, RSTP, and MSTP implementation. This function increases the number of MSTIs supported on a network. It also supports enhanced Ethernet reliability technologies such as Smart Link and RRPP, which implement millisecond-level link protection switchover and ensure network reliability. Smart Link and RRPP both support multi-instance to implement load balancing among links, further improving bandwidth usage.
- The S6720-SI supports enhanced trunk (E-trunk). A CE can be dual-homed to two PEs through Eth-Trunk links. This implements inter-device link aggregation and link load balancing, and greatly improves reliability of access devices.
- The S6720-SI supports the Smart Ethernet Protection (SEP) protocol, a ring network protocol applied to the link layer of an Ethernet network. SEP can be used on open ring networks and provides millisecond-level switchover to ensure uninterrupted services. This protocol is simple, reliable, easy to maintain, and supports fast switchover and flexible topology, enabling users to manage and plan networks conveniently.
- The S6720-SI supports G.8032, also called Ethernet Ring Protection Switching (ERPS). ERPS is based on traditional Ethernet MAC and bridging functions. It uses the mature Ethernet OAM and Ring Automatic Protection Switching (Ring APS or R-APS) technologies to implement millisecond-level protection switching on Ethernet. ERPS supports multiple services and provides flexible networking, reducing the OPEX and CAPEX.
- The S6720-SI supports VRRP. Two S6720-SI switches can form a VRRP group to ensure nonstop and reliable communication. Multiple equal-cost routes to an upstream device can be configured on the S6720-SI to provide route redundancy. When an active route is unreachable, traffic is switched to a backup route.
Various QoS control mechanisms
- The S6720-SI implements complex traffic classification based on packet information such as the 5-tuple, IP precedence, ToS, DSCP, IP protocol type, ICMP type, TCP source port, VLAN ID, Ethernet protocol type, and CoS. ACLs can be applied to inbound or outbound direction to filter packets. The S6720-SI supports the flow-based two-rate and three-color CAR. Each port supports eight priority queues and multiple queue scheduling algorithms such as WRR, DRR, PQ, WRR + PQ, and DRR + PQ, which ensures the quality of network services such as voice, video and data services.
- The S6720-SI supports iStack and virtualizes multiple switches into one logical switch. A port of the S6720-SI can be configured as a stack port using a command for flexible stack deployment. The distance between stacked switches is further increased when the switches are connected with optical fibers. Compared with a single device, iStack features powerful scalability, reliability, performance, and architecture. New member switches can join a stack to increase the system capacity or replace a faulty member switch without interrupting services. Compared with stacking of modular switches, the iStack function can increase system capacity and port density with no restriction of the hardware structure. Multiple devices in a stack can be considered as one logical device. These switches can be managed using a single IP address, which greatly reduces costs for system expansion and O&M.
- The S6720-SI supports automatic configuration, plug-and-play, deployment using a USB flash drive, and batch remote upgrade. These capabilities facilitate deployment, upgrade, and service provisioning, and simplify device management and maintenance. The maintenance costs are greatly reduced.
- The S6720-SI supports SNMP v1/v2/v3 and provides flexible methods for managing devices. Users can manage the S6720-SI using the CLI and Web NMS. The NQA function helps users with network planning and upgrades. In addition, the S6720-SI supports NTP, SSH v2, HWTACACS, RMON, log hosts, and port-based traffic statistics.
- The S6720-SI supports GVRP, which dynamically distributes, registers, and propagates VLAN attributes to reduce the manual configuration workloads of network administrators and ensure correct VLAN configuration.
- The S6720-SI supports MUX VLAN, a mechanism that isolates Layer 2 traffic between ports in a VLAN. MUX VLAN defines principal VLANs and subordinate VLANs. Subordinate VLANs can communicate with the MUX VLAN but cannot communicate with each other. This function prevents communication between network devices connected to certain ports or port groups but allows the devices to communicate with the default gateway. MUX VLAN is usually used on an enterprise intranet to isolate user ports from each other but allow them to communicate with server ports.
- The S6720-SI supports BFD, which provides millisecond-level fault detection for protocols such as OSPF, IS-IS, VRRP, and PIM to improve network reliability. The S6720-SI supports IEEE 802.1ag and IEEE 802.3ah. 802.1ag allows for point-to-point Ethernet fault management, and IEEE 802.3ah can detect faults in the last mile of an Ethernet link. Ethernet OAM improves the Ethernet network management and maintenance capabilities and ensures a stable network.
Various IPv6 features
- The S6720-SI supports IPv4/IPv6 dual stack and can migrate from an IPv4 network to an IPv6 network. The S6720-SI hardware supports IPv4/IPv6 dual stack and IPv6 over IPv4 tunnels (including manual tunnels, 6to4 tunnels, and ISATAP tunnels). The S6720-SI can be deployed on IPv4 networks, IPv6 networks, or networks that run both IPv4 and IPv6. This makes networking flexible and enables a network to migrate from IPv4 to IPv6.
- The S6720-SI supports various IPv6 routing protocols including RIPng and OSPFv3. The S6720-SI supports the Neighbor Discovery Protocol (NDP) of IPv6, and manages packets exchanged between neighbors. It also provides the Path MTU Discovery (PMTU) mechanism to select a proper MTU on the path from the source to the destination, optimizing network resources and obtaining the maximum throughput.
Networking and applications
Data center networks
As shown in the following figure, the S12700 agile switches function as core switches in a data center and use firewall and load balancer cards to ensure security and perform load balancing. The S6720-SIs function as access switches and provide high-density 10 GE ports to connect to 10G servers.
The S6720-SI series switches can be used as access or aggregation switches on small and medium-sized campus networks and provide 2.5G ports for high-speed AP access, meeting the requirement for increasing bandwidth. The rich service features and comprehensive security mechanisms make the S6720-SI cost effective on campus networks.
S6720-26Q-SI-24S bundle (24 x 10 GE SFP+, 2 x 40 GE QSFP+, with 1 x 150W AC power supply)
S6720S-26Q-SI-24S bundle (24 x 10 GE SFP+, 2 x 40 GE QSFP+, with 1 x 150W AC power supply)
S6720-32X-SI-32S bundle (32 x 10 GE SFP+, with 1 x 150W AC power supply)
S6720-32C-SI-AC bundle (24 x 100M/1G/2.5G/5G/10G Base-T Ethernet ports, 4 x 10 GE SFP+, with 1 interface slot, with 1 x 150W AC power supply)
S6720-32C-SI-DC bundle (24 x 100M/1G/2.5G/5G/10G Base-T Ethernet ports, 4 x 10 GE SFP+, with 1 interface slot, with 1 x 150W DC power supply)
S6720-32C-PWH-SI-AC bundle (24 x 100M/1G/2.5G/5G/10G Base-T Ethernet ports, 4 x 10 GE SFP+, PoE++, with 1 interface slot, with 1 x 580W AC power supply)
6720-32C-PWH-SI (24 x 100M/1G/2.5G/5G/10G Base-T Ethernet ports, 4 x 10 GE SFP+, PoE++, with 1 interface slot, without power supply)
S6720-56C-PWH-SI-AC Bundle (32 Ethernet 10/100/1,000 ports, 16 Ethernet 100M/1G/2.5G/5G/10G ports, 4 x 10 Gig SFP+, PoE++, with 1 slot, with 580W power)
S6720-56C-PWH-SI (32 Ethernet 10/100/1,000 ports, 16 Ethernet 100M/1G/2.5G/5G/10G ports, 4 x 10 Gig SFP+, PoE++, with 1 slot, without power module)
S6720-52X-PWH-SI (48 Ethernet 100M/1G/2.5G/5G/10G ports, 4 x 10 Gig SFP+, PoE++, without power module)
2-port 40 GE QSFP+ interface card
4-port 10 GE SFP+ interface card
150W AC Power Module
150W DC Power Module
580W AC Power Module
650W DC Power Module
1,150W AC Power Module
As a world leading Huawei networking products supplier, Hong Telecom Equipment Service LTD(HongTelecom) keeps regular stock of Huawei S5300/ S2300/ S9300/ S1700/ S2700/ S5700/S6720/ S7700/ S9700/ S12700 all cards at very good price, also Hong Telecom Equipment Service LTD ship to worldwide with very fast delivery.